• Gives permission to work in Canada
  • May also require a Temporary Resident Visa
  • Many different ways to get a work permit
  • Some permits limited by location, employer and occupation
  • Some permits open for you to look for work
  • Many require a job offer from a Canadian company or a Labour Market Opinion
  • approved by Employment and Social Development Canada
  • Working Holiday Program, Student Work Abroad Program and other youth mobility offer many opportunities


  • Do you wish to travel to Canada as a tourist, to visit friends and family, or for vacation?
  • Do you require a Temporary Resident Visa in order to visit Canada?
  • Where, when and how can you apply?
  • Needs to be filed in advance of your trip


  • Benefit from Canada’s world class education system
  • Study permit required to study in Canada in most situations
  • A Temporary Resident Visa may be needed as well
  • Apply after acceptance into educational institution


A program for Canadians to invite their parents or grandparents as visitors on Temporary Resident Visa.

  • Can obtain a multiple entry visa with ten year validity, and permission to stay in Canada for up to two years at a time
  • Requires invitation from Canadian Permanent Resident or Canadian Citizen child or grandchild
  • Invitation must prove that the host meets certain income levels
  • Visiting family members need to pass a medical exam and arrange travel insurance before applying

NAFTA Professionals

NAFTA Professionals – You may qualify for a Professional visa if you are a citizen of the United States or Mexico and have a temporary job offer in Canada. A list of 60 occupations pursuant to NAFTA is the mechanism in which selected professionals can enter Canada to provide their services. The Canadian job offer must be from the list of occupations defined by NAFTA, the Canadian job offer must be consistent with your education and not exceed three years. Under the Professional visa you may apply for permanent residency and hold temporary status simultaneously.

Intra-Company Transferees

Intra-company transfers for Executives or Managers – If you are expanding your business to Canada or being transferred to an existing Canadian business, you may be eligible for the Intra-company transferee visa. Intra-company transferee visas are available to all nationalities working in an executive or managerial capacity for companies outside of Canada, such as the United States that have branches, subsidiaries, affiliates or joint venture partners in Canada. Qualified employees entering Canada to establish a new office will be allowed an initial maximum stay of one year. All other qualified employees will be allowed a maximum initial stay of up to three years. Under the Intra-company transferee visa you may apply for permanent residency and hold temporary status simultaneously. In order to qualify you must meet specific requirements, such as:

  • You must have worked outside Canada full-time for a qualifying organization abroad for one full year within the last three years prior to admission;
  • You must have worked for the qualifying organization outside Canada as an executive or managerial position;
  • You are being transferred to Canada to work for a new or existing qualifying Canadian business that is the subsidiary, branch or affiliate of the foreign company.